The Sound of Change Initiative
With the support of donors and through purchases and services in our non-profit hearing clinics, Island Deaf and Hard of Hearing Centre (IDHHC) is able to provide free hearing assessments, refurbished hearing aids, and communication devices to vulnerable and at-risk populations including low-income seniors and adults.
IDHHC employs clinical Registered Audiologists to perform hearing assessments, hearing aid fittings, and recommendations for communication devices. Additionally, clients also have a personalized communication plan developed for them consisting of hearing rehabilitation services. Working together, the IDHHC team will work with individuals and families to support healthy communication options.
There is an intake process to determine how you might qualify for the Sound of Change Initiative. For more information on what is required during the intake please email or call us.
Once it is determined you qualify for the program you will receive:
- Full audiology services supported by state of the art equipment
- Fitting with free refurbished aids
- Regular follow up and clean & checks as well as ongoing care and service
- Refurbished and / or purchasing assistive devices including a loaner program
- Access to programs to develop strategies for managing difficult listening situations and/or speechreading, aural rehab and listening skills
- Information about and supporting individuals who use hearing aids and cochlear implants
Donating hearing aids and technology for refurbishing
This program relies on the generous support from members of our community to recycle/donate used hearing aids and hearing aid accessories. For information on how to donate equipment please call one of our offices at 250.592.8144 or 250.753.0999 or drop or mail equipment to 102 – 6588 Applecross Road (Nanaimo) or 301 – 3960 Quadra Street (Victoria).
See our Recycle/Donate flyer at all Island London Drugs Pharmacies.
We are grateful for the support and partnership for this initiative from:
- Provincial Employees Community Services Fund
- Tony and Mignon Fenton Trust
- The Victoria Foundation
- The Nanaimo Foundation
- Mr. and Mrs. P. A. Woodward’s Foundation
- United Way of Greater Victoria
- Lions of BC Hearing Conservation Society
- Local / Island Lions Clubs
- Local Audiologists and individuals donating hearing aids
- Island-wide donors and supporters
- Our Hearing Health volunteers