Read the Bylaws of the Island Deaf and Hard of Hearing Centre
Protecting Your Privacy
Island Deaf and Hard of Hearing Centre (IDHHC) is committed to protecting personal information about our clients, donors, employees and volunteers. Our goal is to maintain the highest quality of services and integrity in all of our dealings. To that end, we will only collect, store, use and disclose personal information as needed to:
- undertake activities including: providing services to clients, volunteer recruitment/referral, and training/workshops.
- establish and maintain relationships with our donors
- establish, maintain, or terminate relationships with our employees and volunteers
- administer our society
- meet legal, regulatory, or statutory requirements
We will inform the individual from whom personal information is being collected of our purposes and ensure such individuals have consented to our collection, use, storage, or disclosure of the personal information for the purposes we have indicated.
When possible we will collect any required personal information directly from the individual to whom it pertains. We will not collect, use, store or disclose an individual’s personal information except in accordance with the law.
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual. It includes information such as:
- Name, age, and gender
- Home address and phone number
- Marital status, nationality, ethnic origin, and religion
- Employment information
- Information regarding income, health, and personal preferences
Personal information excludes business contact information such as: title, business telephone/fax numbers, and street/email addresses.
- Accountability: IDHHC is accountable and responsible for maintaining and protecting personal information under its control. We have also designated a *Privacy Officer who is accountable for our compliance with this Policy.
- Identifying Purposes: IDHHC is accountable and responsible for maintaining and protecting personal information under its control. We have also designated a *Privacy Officer who is accountable for our compliance with this Policy.
- Consent: IDHHC will obtain an individual’s consent to collect, use, or disclose personal information, except where authorized or required to do so by law. If a new purpose for personal information is identified we will inform the individual and obtain their consent prior to its use.
- Limiting Collections: IDHHC will limit the collection of personal information to only those details which are reasonable and necessary for the purpose intended.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: Personal information will only be used or disclosed for the purpose for which it was collected, unless an individual has otherwise consented, or where it is required by law. IDHHC will destroy personal information records when it is reasonable to assume retention is no longer necessary for the purpose it was collected. When personal information is no longer required by IDHHC we will destroy, erase or render it anonymous.
- Accuracy: IDHHC will ensure that personal information collected is kept as accurate, up-to-date and complete as possible to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected.
- Safeguarding Information: IDHHC will protect the personal information it collects by maintaining reasonable physical, technical and procedural security safeguards to prevent unauthorized access, use, disclosure, loss or modification.
- Openness: Information about IDHHC’s policies and practices relating to the management of personal information will be made readily available to individuals on request.
- Access: An individual may request access to personal information at any time to review its content and accuracy, and have it amended as appropriate. Upon request, unless prevented by law, IDHHC will provide the individual with information regarding personal information and an explanation of how it has been used. An individual may also request that their personal information be deleted from our system and records.Where information can be disclosed, we will provide an individual with this information within 30 days of the request. If we do not know the individual, we will confirm their identity before providing access. Where information cannot be disclosed, we will provide the individual with the reasons for non disclosure.
If an individual has any further questions or concerns, please contact our Executive Director:
Denise Robertson – Island Deaf and Hard of Hearing Centre
130 – 1555 McKenzie Avenue
Victoria BC V8N 1A4