Employment at IDHHC
Do you care about hearing health? Would you like to help empower people with hearing loss and promote accessibility in the community for those with hearing loss? Apply for a job with us today. We’ll be posting positions here as they come up, so keep checking this page for new information.
Island Deaf and Hard of Hearing Centre (IDHHC) has been providing service for 28 years, serving the geographic region of Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
Manager – Finance & Operations
Job Purpose and Summary
The Manager – Finance and Operations provides both operational and financial support to the organization and works closely with Executive Director and Manager of Communications as a member of the organizations’ leadership team.
Under the direction of the Executive Director (ED), the Manager – Finance and Operations maintains all necessary and appropriate records, files and processes to ensure the smooth and compliant financial operation of the organization, focusing on accuracy and transparency.
As a member of the leadership team the individual will work closely with the ED and Manager of Communications to provide direction, coaching, mentoring and team building within the staff, Board of Directors, volunteers and stakeholders.
- Assist in performing tasks necessary to implement the organization’s Strategic Plan and help execute staff succession and growth plans.
- Work with the ED on the strategic vision including fostering and cultivating stakeholder relationships on Vancouver Island, as well as assisting in the development and negotiation of contracts.
- Participate in developing new business, specifically: assist with identifying new funding opportunities, social enterprise, the drafting of prospective program budgets, and determining cost effectiveness for service delivery.
- Ensure adequate controls are installed and that substantiating documentation is approved and available such that all purchases may pass independent and CRA audits.
- Work with the ED to ensure program success through cost analysis, support and compliance with all contractual and program requirements.
- With the ED, oversee the management and coordination of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including: organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, reports to funding agencies, development and monitoring of organizational and contract/grant budgets.
- With the ED develop and maintain systems of internal controls to safeguard the financial assets of the organization; ensure all compliance issues are met, including the preparation of the annual financial statements in cooperation with the accountants preparing the review.
- Oversee the production of monthly reports including reconciliations with funders, as well as financial statements and cash flow projections for use by Executive management, as well as the Audit/Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Oversee Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
- Oversee business insurance plans and health care coverage analysis.
- Oversee the maintenance of the inventory of all fixed assets, assuring all are in accordance with regulations.
- Oversee all IT and technical needs for the organization and make recommendations to the ED for changes and/or upgrade requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare General Ledger and supporting accounts within the Simply Accounting electronic accounting system
- Prepare and tracks Accounts Payable files and process cheques for signing and distribution; record and track all Accounts Receivables ensuring accurate program allocations and timely payments
- Reconcile all accounts monthly and prepare financial statements, including Financial Position, Revenue and Expenditure, Performance to Budget/Variance, Key Expenditure Tracking and Cash Flow
- Reconcile bank accounts monthly and monitor cash flow and cash management Payroll
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll files and submit to CAFT for payment
- Maintain staff files, including time sheet monitoring, vacation and sick day bank records, other taxable benefits
- Oversee the staff benefits to ensure timely payments and that benefits packages are current and up to date
- Monitor remittances to Receiver-General for source deductions
- Prepare WorkSafe BC reports and remittances
- Ensure payroll set up of new hires and Record of Employment for departing staff
- Prepare monthly Financial Statements as required by Treasurer, Executive Director and Finance Committee
- Prepare WorkSafe BC reports
- Prepare HST/GST and PST returns
- Prepare Gaming Annual Use of Proceeds and other Grant Reporting reports
- Prepare grant confirmations and monitor reporting requirements / prepare granting organization reports as required
- Prepare T4A submissions, T4 preparation and distribution
- Prepare review documentation if and when required
- Working closely with ED and Communications to provide leadership to staff through team-building coaching and mentoring.
- Support and participate in community engagement with Board, volunteers and stakeholders.
- Oversight of physical requirements along with documentation and insurance.
- Direct responsibility for all IT and technology needs.
- Provide information and process to the growth of strategic social enterprise.
- Oversight of day to day operational activities to ensure excellent service delivery and the organized and efficient use of resources.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong computer skills, including Simply Accounting software.
- Strong ability to work with internal and external databases.
- Complete and expert understanding of both Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in not-for-profit/charitable organizations in Canada.
- Understanding of provincial and federal reporting standards for not-for-profit/charitable organizations in British Columbia.
- Accounting and bookkeeping aptitude with analytical and problem solving skills.
- Computer skills including the ability to operate computerized accounting, spreadsheet and word processing programs at a highly proficient level.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of IT solutions and solid skills with computer software and networking.
- Create and assess financial statements and budget documents.
- Strong decision making, time management, and stress management skills.
- Foster and cultivate business opportunities and partnerships.
- Supervisory and team building abilities.
- Recognize and be responsive to the needs of all clients of the organization, including funding organizations, the Board of Directors, local community, participants, and employers.
- Possess effective listening skills and communicate effectively in both written and verbal form.
- Degree in finance, business, administration, or management and certification in bookkeeping or financial management.
- Minimum 5 years recent related experience, including senior level work in the finance and operations of a not-for-profit organization in Canada.
This is a full-time position; applications are currently being accepted and the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found. Only those short listed will be contacted.
Please submit resume with cover letter to:
Executive Director, Island Deaf and Hard of Hearing Centre
130 – 1555 McKenzie Ave., Victoria, BC V8N 1A4
or fax: (250) 592-8199 or e-mail: email@example.com
(Last updated July 13, 2019)
#130-1555 McKenzie Avenue Victoria BC V8N 1A4
Voice: 250.592.8144 or 1.800.667.5448
TTY: 250.592.8147 or 1.877.667.5488
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.idhhc.ca
|#101-75 Front Street Nanaimo BC V9R 5H9
Voice: 250.753.0999 or 1.877.424.3323
TTY: 250.753.0977 or 1.877.424.3323
Email: email@example.com www.idhhc.ca