Work at IDHHC
Do you care about hearing health? Would you like to help empower people with hearing loss and promote accessibility in the community for those with hearing loss? Apply for a job with us today. We’ll be posting positions here as they come up, so keep checking this page for new information.
EMPLOYMENT COUNSELLOR / CASE MANAGER
Job Summary: IDHHC Employment Counsellor / Case Manager assess client skills and career goals and provide one-to-one support in developing a detailed action plan to reach employment objectives. This position will assess vocational and training opportunities and supports clients with life skills that lend themselves to obtaining and retaining employment. This position will assist Specialized Population Groups who are Deaf or have a hearing loss, as well as multi-barriered clients, to find and maintain employment. This may include customized employment, employment planning, job search, job placement on site support and job maintenance. Also included: arranging work experience placements including community attachment; seek out potential employers to hire people with hearing loss; market the client’s job-readiness skills; promote successful job retention.
Reports to: Executive Director
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assess, interview and assist Deaf and hard of hearing clients who are seeking employment. Administer assessment tools needed to complete the Employment Readiness Information Questionnaire, Formal Needs Assessment and the Multi- Dimensional Needs Assessment process.
- Assist clients to determine their career goal. Work with clients on career planning and job search strategies as well as to develop Action Plans; assess eligibility for programs and services as well as financial needs and eligibility.
- Work with clients to increase their employability in areas of job search skills, attitude, motivation, confidence, image and work habits.
- Renew and update client activities and results on action plan; resolve issues identified during client follow-up.
- Enter all relevant client data in the Integrated Case Management System (ICM) and keep appropriate records and statistics detailing amount and type of client contact. Demonstrate attention to detail in entering client data in ICM.
- Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with employers, vocational counsellors and clients in other communities and throughout Vancouver Island and maintain current knowledge of labour market.
- Develop and follow through with case management plans for all active clients. Liaise closely with other IDHHC staff and with agencies involved in case management with mutual clients.
- Deliver job analysis/job adaptation assistance to clients and employers.
- Market participants to employer, develop strong business relationships, develop and implement successful marketing and job placement strategies.
- Provide regular, professional employee/employer follow-up to promote successful job retention; provide on-the-job support in learning a new job and adapting to the work environment for a client to successfully maintain employment.
- Recruit new clients to the program through community connections and outreach.
- Any additional work that may be required as a result of planned developments with the agency.
Qualifications – Education, Training and Experience:
- CCDP or RRP is strongly preferred.
- Degree or diploma or certification in a related social service field; completion of college/ vocational or technical training or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Three to five years’ recent experience in the area of employment counselling and/or job development; or three year’s previous direct program delivery experience with a target client group with a demonstrated working knowledge of specific community based programs/vocational counselling/placement experience with individuals with disabilities required.
- Knowledge of Deaf Culture, hearing loss and its implications is preferred. Proficient written and spoken English required. Candidates with American Sign Language Skills are strongly preferred.
- A criminal record check with vulnerable persons is a condition of employment.
Job Skills & Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of services and support groups in and outside of the community.
- Must have strong computer skills and solid knowledge of job search techniques and Labour Market Information.
- Experience and an understanding of case management; knowledge of customized employment & job search techniques.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; proven marketing and networking skills and experience.
- Ability to work one to one with clients or in a group setting to establish collaborative working relationships
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills, and a demonstrated ability to multi-task effectively and follow jobs through to completion.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills. Attention to detail and critical thinking are required attributes.
- Knowledge of group process and facilitation techniques.
- Computer use, reading text, numeracy and finding information in a fast paced environment is required.
- Must have a valid BC driver’s license and access to a motor vehicle.
This is full-time position; applications are currently being accepted and the competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found. Only those short listed will be contacted.
Please submit resume with cover letter to:
Executive Director, Island Deaf and Hard of Hearing Centre
130 – 1555 McKenzie Ave., Victoria, BC V8N 1A4
or fax: (250) 592-8199
or e-mail: email@example.com
(Last updated May 4, 2020)